- 1 bunch beets = ~2lb beets = 3-4 medium size beets
- 1 tsp salt
- 11/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar (red wine, apple, etc)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, sliced
How to cook
- Wear a dark color shirt or a very old one and put on an apron, beet stain is "the" toughest of all.
- Cut the tops and bottoms of beets and wash them really, really well.
- Place in a pot, cover with water, and cook until soft. (if a knife can go though them easily, then they're cooked.) This may take more or less 30-40 minutes. If you prefer a pressure cooker, set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Once they cool down, peel the beets (which is super easy once they're cooked) and preserve the cooking juice.
- Cut the beets the way you like; you can cube (as in the picture); slice; or halve them.
- Layer beets, garlic, vinegar, salt, and sugar in a glass jar. (To give you an idea three medium size cubed beets fit in an Atlas jar.)
- Fill the jar with preserved beet juice. Close tight and refrigerate.
- It's ready to eat the next day; no need to wait for longer.